wishtrend

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Whoopie Pies!

Brief Introduction on Whoopie Pie: ( copy and pasted from wikipedia)

The whoopie pie (alternatively called a black moongobblack-and-whitebob, or "BFO" for Big Fat Oreo) is an American baked good that may be considered either a cookiepie, or cake. It is made of two round mound-shaped pieces of chocolate cake, or sometimes pumpkin or gingerbread cake, with a sweet, creamy filling or frosting sandwiched between them


History of Whoopie Pie: ( copy and pasted from wikipedia) 
While considered a New England phenomenon and a Pennsylvania Amish tradition, they are increasingly sold throughout the United States.[1] According to food historians, Amish women would bake these desserts (known as hucklebucks, or creamy turtles at the time) and put them in farmers' lunch pails or lunch boxes. When farmers would find the treats in their lunch, they would shout "Whoopie!"[1] It is thought that the original Whoopie pies may have been made from cake batter leftovers.[3]
The whoopie pie is the official state treat of Maine[4] (not to be confused with the official state dessert, which is blueberry pie).[4]
The world's largest whoopie pie was created in South Portland, Maine on March 26, 2011, weighing in at 1,062 pounds.[5] Pieces of the giant whoopie pie were sold and the money was used to send Maine-made whoopie pies to soldiers serving overseas.[5] The previous record holder, from Pennsylvania, weighed 200 pounds.[5]


Why the sudden topic?

Well,

I got the latest issue of Cake Decorating! Which is issue 4! At the end of the issue, they have this recipe which caught my interest. And yes! It's whoopie pie! With the rainbow colour and cute looking, almost similar to macaron, it definitely caught my attention.

I immediately took out 2 sticks of butter, in the end I only used one. Blek.

Anyways,

Outcome was better than expected. Well, not that nice since I only have blue, red and green. So, I only made 4 colours. Red, blue, green and purple. Why didn't I buy yellow?

Taste? Well, it was nice. But maybe I made the cake part too thick? It would be nicer with thinner cakes. Cream? Guess what? The recipe suggested 2 4/5 cups of sugar but I used 2 cups only and it was already sweet! And if you don't know me, I'll tell u a lil something bout me...

Hehehhe....a lil info bout me: I absolutely adore SWEET stuff. Anything sweet, I like! So, if I ever say something is too sweet, u have gotta believe me!

Will I make this again? Maybe. High chance if I buy yellow colouring!

I'm so lazy to on my computer just to post up a mere pic of my whoopie pies that I'll just publish this post now...

Stay tune as I edit this post soon with one pic of the outcome. Might include a pic of how it's suppose to turn out

As promised, here's a pic:

my 1st attempt in making whoopie pies!

Btw, I know that it doesn't look that appetising but I like it! My bro & sis love them as well!

Here's how it's suppose to look like:

pic credit to sweetesbakeshop.com

So, there you have it. The HUGE difference in outcome. LOL!




No comments: